Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Guestbook by Andrea Hurst

I don't know what it is, but I've had all the best luck about picking books that involve women walking away from broken relationships and finding great strength within themselves. Really, the books just kind of find me I guess. Since I end up with most of them because they were on the FreeBooks list at some point and I just happened to download them and then decide to read them now. Today Nick and I were talking about my habit of not reading anything about the book before I actually begin reading it. That's always been a benefit to me. It really opens my horizons and I'm not going to get turned away from a book just because someone wrote a bad captioning for it. Yet it makes it kind of a gamble. I read really quickly though, so if a book is lame it doesn't take me long to get through the torture and I can get on here and vent to you all about how bad the book was. 

Thankfully the things that I have been reading lately have worked out for me. The Guestbook I settled on reading this morning and finished about an hour or so ago. Nap time is the best time for uninterrupted reading. Monster took a really good nap today! Today was a good day for a lot of things though. We got Ry his first library card, and got me a new one. Which means that we can get him some new bedtime stories and I don't have to read the same books over and over and over again at bed time. Also, I can now download books from the library and have them go straight to my Kindle Paperwhite. I downloaded my first book and will probably commence reading after I get us through dinner and bath time. The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. I know nothing about it, so we will see how it goes. 

Either way, I know that I get distracted and you aren't really here to read about my day. Which means it is on to the topic at hand: The Guestbook by Andrea Hurst.

Lily is busy living her life as the perfect wife. The gourmet chef, the perfectly dressed woman, the wife who does everything she is told to please her husband of ten years. But she feels as she looks around their home, that it isn't hers. It never has been. Brad makes all the decisions. He chooses the way she dresses. He even sent her to many many cooking classes and schools in order to make her into his image of a perfect wife. Then it happens. Brad leaves his cell phone when he runs out of the house and Lily reads the messages. Brad's having an affair. It was the end, and Lily takes the basics of her life and runs away.

She recently inherited an eccentric bed and breakfast in Washington from her grandmother who passed away. She gets there and begins to see what she can really accomplish on  her own. Then she meets him. But what will she do? In the middle of a divorce and alone for the first time in years she is drowning in her own distrust of men and lack of faith in herself. In this small town she finds what it means to be a woman. Lily makes friends with some of the local women and really begins to establish herself. Bringing the bed and breakfast back to life along with her own love. 

Overall the book was good. If I had to pinpoint anything that I disliked about it, I'm not sure I could. The Guestbook was a quick and easy read. Not the most particularly emotionally involving and some of the things in the story were kind of bypassed. I'd say I feel that way because short reads leave too much time unexplained or really just leave a lot up to you to decide. Can't say that is my favorite style of writing. Give me a story that is written with livid details and can really make me feel like I'm there, and I'm a very happy woman. I don't know what else to say really. It was an okay book and once the other two in the trilogy become available for the kindle I will probably read them as well. I felt enough for the characters to want to find out more about their stories. Maybe I'll keep up with Andrea Hurst. God Bless Goodreads? Anyway. I'm giving this 3 out of 5 stars. That is the end of my chat for now. Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment