Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Change in Altitude, by Anita Shreve


Blah, blah, blah. That's exactly how I've been feeling lately. Lacking motivation for even completing the most simple of tasks. It's kind of ridiculous. I'm really starting to wonder how much my mood really does effect the way a feel about the books I'm reading. Although, when I'm feeling down I can pick up a good book and feel a jillion times better. So maybe it's the opposite? What I'm reading effects the way I'm feeling. In all honestly I can tell that whatever I'm reading influences the language I use on a daily basis. Take for instance when I read a few different classical English lit books in a row, I'll begin using much more proper anecdotes. And likewise, when I'm reading modern jargon, I speak in the way that best reflects that.

Strange. Admittedly, I am a little strange. I've never had a problem seeing that part of me. Meh. I think it adds to my charm. I hope so at least. If I'm wrong, don't correct me. Just let me live in my complacent delusion. It'll be much better that way. For me. Not you.

So, A Change in Altitude. In the past I have read many of Anita Shreve's novels and found much to delight in. Plot lines that drew me in, and characters that I could believe in. And that brings me to the latest novel of hers that I read, A Change in Altitude. First of all, I'll tell you what I'm sure you already know. I didn't like it much. The story was set in Kenya. It's about a newly married couple who go to Kenya to work with the locals. The husband, Patrick, is a doctor and Margaret, the wife, a photographer.

I don't know what to write. I walked away from the blog for a few minutes and I'm struggling to come up with what I should say about the book. The most I can really say, is that there are just so many things that are hard to grasp. The first climb made me feel uncomfortable, and maybe this is the point, but the discomfort didn't leave me for the rest of the book. Margaret is a whiny sort of empty character. She doesn't have much to do since her husband works away from home at the hospital for his research. So, she finds something to do. Overall the story line was sporadic and off. The flow and content were really lacking in any kind of comfortable movement. The characters were underdeveloped, and left me wanting so much more.

The end was probably the hardest part to understand. She finished her journey, but it ends abruptly with her realizing how hard she has worked to get nothing but a muddled view of nothing. I don't know. All I can say is that I sill not hold it against Anita Shreve, and will probably attempt to read another of her books soon. Maybe I'll even go back and reread one that I know I enjoyed and review it just to prove to you (and myself) that she is normally awesome.

Now it's time for bed, because this old lady has to go to work tomorrow. And that isn't really ever any fun. I try to pretend like it is though, sometimes it works. Mostly I just end up watching the time creep by, and text my fiance a lot about a bunch of nothing. It's a good thing he loves me. :) I'm often times a very needy individual.

Anyhoo. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment