Thursday, May 30, 2013

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

I'm behind again! Sheesh. I just can't seem to stop reading long enough to get myself caught back up on all my blogging. Since my body has decided that it is going to be lame and feel awful today, I decided that this would be a good time to get the reviews down for the three books I've finished since The Marriage Plot. The first one I found as a group read on Goodreads and picked it up. I was a bit skeptical about it based on the reviews that I read. In my last post you'll remember that I said I don't read reviews before reading the book, and this is exactly why.  Orphan Train has an average rating of 4.07 on Goodreads, and generally that bodes well. (Assuming that you like things that many other people like.) 

What can I say? I liked it well enough. Parts of the book were extremely likable, and parts were downright unbelievable. The book didn't draw me in well enough to be able to suspend my sense of reality and possibility, so the unbelievable stuff is hard for me to overcome. Molly is a very angst driven foster kid, who finally finds a reason to care in Vivian. Vivian is the old lady who is recounting the story of her life to Molly for a class project as the sort through all the things in the attic that tie her to her own reality. 

I read this two books ago, and it's already fading from me. It didn't leave a great impression. It was all a bit to fantastical for me. And yet I can say that it was an enjoyable enough read that I would happily suggest it to you. It's not going to change your life. Definitely might make you realize how different life is now from what it was in the 1920's. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. 

Not really sure what else to say. Maybe now isn't the greatest time for me to be writing a review. Fairly certain that I'm not doing myself or the book justice by this. And thus, again, I will put of the reviews of the next two books. Maybe after a nap I will feel more like being my witty and awesome (narcissistic) self. Until then my readers, I bid you adieu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment