Monday, November 5, 2012

Chasing Paris by Jen Carter

What would you do if you wake up one day to realize that the history of your family isn't what you thought it was? What would happen if you knew that your family hid the fact that your Grandma is really your great aunt and there is a whole knew mysterious woman and man that you just learned about? I can tell you that I would do exactly the same thing Amy Winthrow does. I'd do everything in my power to find out who she was and why she left.

There is a certain amount of disbelief that I really can't force myself to believe in this novel. An English Professor says that the planets must be in line because all the pieces of the romance are simply falling into place. I understand that you as a person who hasn't read the book yet won't understand the reference, but it's important that I state that I really don't believe that Will and Amy worked out in a fashion that I can suspend my disbelief in. I am a hopeless romantic, and you could see their future from the beginning, it's just not developed enough to be possible. 

There were also pieces that didn't really fit to me. It felt essentially like Amy's entire family was playing a mean trick on her almost the whole time as well. You find out in the end that it's not a trick and everything is real, but too many people have pieces to the puzzles that they shouldn't. It's hard to imagine that her sister April finds a relic from the family history and has absolutely no interest and doesn't tell her sister about it either. 

Chasing Paris was a quick read that I finished throughout the course of the day. Do a load of laundry, read a few chapters. Go grocery shopping, read a few chapters. Ya know? It was relatively easy for me to put the book down and walk away which is never a good sign when it comes to me attention for the book. I'm not going to say that the book was bad, it certainly has it's points of intrigue. Who is Lizzie Hathaway, and why did she abandon her family so abruptly? As I was reading I really wanted to know! It's just the surrounding story wasn't really something I cared about or believed. Reading the reviews on Amazon led me to think that it would be a different kind of writing than it was. Guess that goes to show you that you can't always believe what you read? Maybe you should pick it up and find out for yourself! Maybe.


Chasing Paris by Jen Carter, July 2012 269 pages
Amazon Rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (Rated by 20 people)




No comments:

Post a Comment