Friday, November 2, 2012

City of Women by David E. Gillham

"Whom do you trust, whom do you love, and who can be saved?  

It is 1943—the height of the Second World War—and Berlin has essentially become a city of women. 
Sigrid Schröder is, for all intents and purposes, the model German soldier’s wife: She goes to work every day, does as much with her rations as she can, and dutifully cares for her meddling mother-in-law, all the while ignoring the horrific immoralities of the regime. But behind this façade is an entirely different Sigrid, a woman who dreams of her former lover, now lost in the chaos of the war. Her lover is a Jew." - excerpt from Amazon

I'm going to guess that I bought this book because it was the Kindle Daily deal, I don't actually remember. I can however promise you that I didn't pay 12.99 to have it on my Kindle. But whatever. The only real point of mentioning that is that I wanted to try and figure out how I even came across this book in the first place. Anyway, now on to the point of the whole post.

I really enjoyed this book! It had it's moments where it was really crude and you could remember that it was a man writing from a woman's perspective, but for the most part it went pretty smooth. I'll admit that I usually get a little nervous reading a book that a man wrote from a woman's perspective. 

Sigrid is a weak woman who gets sucked into something way bigger than her. She finds out who she is and what she is capable of along this treacherous path. She saves Jews from the Germans.  I'm not sure what it is about WWII right now that is holding my interest, but I'll be posting in a little bit about a book I just finished which is also about WWII. Something about this book really triggered it for me. In Berlin when all the capable men are away fighting a war it's up to the women left behind to pull everything together. They hold jobs and feed their families, and some are also brave enough to help others along the way as well.

It's easy to tell when some people are your enemies, and yet Sigrid has to fight through the trenches so to speak to see who is the real enemy. Her closest friends may turn her in, the nosey neighbors may start to read into her sudden like of the cinema. Lives hang in the balance. Not just hers, but everyone she loves.

This was a good read. Not incredibly memorable honestly. I read this over a week ago and some of the pieces are already missing in my memory. I'll blame that on the fact that it's a pleasure read and not something I read for historical relevance. But good none the less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment