Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Flame of Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier

Flame of Sevenwaters, Juliet Marillier, First Roc Printing 2012 433 pgs.

So I did it again. I read this book from start to finish today. I think that makes this the third book the week that I've read. I'm fairly certain that if I don't find a job soon I'll probably start to become a crazy book lady. That is, only if I'm not already a crazy book lady. We won't talk about those things, we are here to talk about the latest book in the Sevenwaters series.

Flame of Sevenwaters is the sixth book in the saga created by Juliet Marillier. I fell in love with the then trilogy and the author in the ninth grade. I'd say that was (doing math, it's a good thing you can't judge how long it's taking me to figure this out) nine years ago! If I were to compare the writing styles between the books I would say that the writing feels better as I read it, but it seems like the story lines are not being as well developed as the first three books. I think it's been two years since the last book came out for Sevenwaters. I'd verify this information but I don't really want to go through the effort. I know it was Seer of Sevenwaters. It was good in the same way this one was. 

I'm not really going to give out too many details about the book's story line because I know that it only came out in the US yesterday and doesn't come out in other countries until next week. I wouldn't want to give any spoilers out. I will tell you this Maeve is just as strong a woman as all her other sisters. I like that Juliet is sticking with the sisters as she continues telling things. It's not as far apart and I know that if she were to continue moving her tales through the next generations instead of staying in one she would lose the time frame of her fantastical tales. Anyway, back to Maeve. If you've read any of the other novels you'll know that in the third Child of Prophecy she was burned and disfigured in a fire, after the fire she was sent to Harrowfield with her Aunt Liadan (My favorite member of the family). Being raised in this stronghold gave her the ability to cope with the damage to herself and to her soul.

In Flame of Sevenwaters Maeve is asked to travel home to Sevenwaters to help her Uncle Bran with a task. Imagine being 20 and afraid to meet the demons you walked away from when you were 10. Little does she know where this homeward journey will lead her, nor just how strong she will really have to be. 

On Goodreads I gave this book 4 stars. I find it difficult to be very harsh on books, but this was still a very captivating read. There is something about the characters that Juliet Marillier brings to life that I identify with. I feel like I may be going back and reading Shadowfell again in order to review it here as well. Shadowfell came out a few months ago and I read it through once like I did Flame of Sevenwaters. Maybe that's what I'll read tomorrow. I've been having a difficult time deciding what I was going to do. My son is out of school though so I won't have as much free time as I've had the past three days. Happy reading all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment