Thursday, November 15, 2012

Me again by Keith Cronin


From the Author

Giving something back . . .

It's a strange thing, writing about tragedy in the name of entertainment. As readers, we seem to have an insatiable appetite for seeing characters undergo terrible challenges and calamity. And as writers, we dig deep to see what we can come up with to feed that hunger.

I wrote ME AGAIN with the goal of creating an entertaining, often funny book that explored some serious emotional themes as it followed the intertwined paths of two young stroke victims. But as the book neared completion, I began to have misgivings about using an affliction that touches so many people - some 795,000 Americans each year, and that's just the victims, not their loved ones - as the basis for a story meant merely to entertain.

So I made myself a promise. If this book sold, I'd use it to help others as well. That's why 25% of everything I earn from ME AGAIN - including my advance - is being donated to the American Stroke Association, a division of the American Heart Association that focuses on reducing risk, disability and death from stroke through research, education, fund raising and advocacy.

Stroke is the third leading cause of death, and the leading cause of adult disability. My hope is that my little what-if story can do something to help change that, while still managing to entertain people on airplanes and beaches.

I don't know if I'm allowed to copy and paste this from Amazon, but I did anyway. It's pretty admiral and self-conscious to feel bad about writing something for other's pleasure that some may not find so funny. 

Anyway. Instead of starting the post with something about myself I decided to start the post with something that moved me! Now let's talk about the book. It starts off a little slow, which is imaginable because Jonathan Hooper has been in a coma for 6 years. I was a little afraid that the author would spend so much time going through each stage of recovery that the story would be hindered. But, it was really a quickly moving little story. More about the personal struggles of finding out who you are now that you've gone through this terrible thing. Stroke affect everyone differently, this can include physical ability, muscle weakness, memories, personalities. All kinds of different things can happen. 
The story was well thought out, and definitely has it's moments that make me smile. It makes you think, what would you do if one day you woke up and realized that you weren't the same person anymore? Jonathan wakes up and realizes that he doesn't remember anything or anyone from before. He has to relearn everything from how to move his hands to how to love someone. As you read through the book you piece together the kind of man he was before. So you definitely get to see some great dynamics.
Rebecca is a patient of the stroke unit that Jonathan is. Apparently she had a stroke young just like him 29 I think. After the stroke she finds out that she no longer has the "nice filter". You know, the one that prevents you from saying things you think because they will hurt someone's feelings. Shes funny and oblivious to those things. But she used to be that trophy wife who did everything right all the time. 
Their stories intermingle and they adjust to their new personalities and their new lives. I enjoyed the story, and I'm sure you will to. Give it a try? and 25% of your purchase is donated. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment