Friday, November 9, 2012

I guess you could say this is random?

I'm not posting about a book, but sort of about the blog I guess. I'd really just like to take this opportunity to process a few ideas about what I'd like to continue doing with the blog and just see where I end up. 

I was talking to NickNack about the blog lately and he had some really great ideas about ways to continue to use my blog for growth and ways to introduce it to more people. Obviously as you can tell no one actually follows my blog, but people read it every day! Which is awesome and not so awesome at the same time. I'd like to make this a thing that has some community involvement. It gets difficult choosing books, and I also have no idea what you, as the reader, care about reading. I've recently just been skipping around all over the place in the genres I've been reading. And I've been posting all my blogs on Goodreads as reviews, so I know that some of my increased traffic is coming from that. 

So here are some of the ideas that we've discussed:

1.) Asking authors to do a short online Q&A either in a written format or me figuring out how to make a video thing. I don't know how that would work, but I know I could host a chatroom thing with other readers or something. It's an option to explore

2.) Review new books the week or day they come out. I know that Flame of Sevenwaters has gotten quite a few hits because it's a brand new book, and isn't even out in some countries yet. 

3.) Something I really want to do is start a book club. Which NickNack is talking about something I should do too. And then kind of taking away from that and discussing it weekly or monthly as well. I don't expect people to read at the same speed as me. And I'll be reading less since I got a new job.

4.) Find book signings and go meet the authors and maybe having giveaways of a signed copy of a book? 

There are a lot of other random things that we have talked about as ways to make this not only more interesting to you as a reader, but also more involving for me. I don't know if I'll turn this blog into something more than a hobby, but it could really be fun for me to maintain over the next few months and see where we go from there. 

Harry Steinman who wrote Little Deadly Things sent me an email on Goodreads about how he enjoys reading what I write and that maybe I could really take it some where. I don't know, but I feel like maybe I actually could. NickNack is on board and doesn't seem to mind the amount I read. I think sometimes people get the idea that all I do is read and nothing else gets done. But that's simply not true. I'd read a hell of a lot more books if I didn't have to do laundry and dishes or be a taxi to and from school. 

Every day is an adventure and I plan to keep on being an adventurer. So come along and join me. I think it could be a lot of fun if we do it together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment